I have high hopes and expectations for the breakfasts and brunches that I create, but they often fall short when I’m low on time or ingredients. This French Toast recipe is one of my go-to’s in those times, and it came in clutch this morning when I looked in the fridge and saw less than I had hoped to find.
Forunately, I always seem to have eggs and bread-and perhaps you find yourself in a similar predicament, too. Give it a try and this French Toast will have you thankful for the simple things in life.
Recipe serves 2-3 (makes 6 pieces total)
- 6 pieces Italian bread with sesame seeds (use any white or wheat bread that you like)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp milk or water (optional)
- Butter for greasing pan
- Beat eggs in as medium sized bowl.
- Add in cinnamon, ginger, and milk (optional), making sure to thoroughly incorporate.
- Place a medium or large-sized non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Once the pan is warm, place a small pad of butter on the pan to grease.
- Dredge bread through the egg mixture, one piece at at a time, making sure that each side is covered, but leaving any excess behind (do not leave it dripping with mixture).
- Place on pan. Heat for about 2-6 minutes, or until golden brown, before flipping to cook the other side for 2-6 more minutes.
- Once done, remove from heat.
- Repeat process with remaining pieces of bread.
- Enjoy plain or serve French Toast warm drizzled with pure maple syrup, warm honey, jam, or preserves. Sprinkle with cane sugar, powdered sugar, ground cinnamon, or ginger for extra texture and flavor.